If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (970) 353-1388

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Electric Space Heater Safety Tips

11/20/2018 (Permalink)

It’s winter, we are all turning to heaters to stay warm. They are the ultimate winter must have to keep your house/office nice and toasty. If you are using a space heater do not plug it into an extension cord power strip! Why? Doing so can result in a terrible fire hazard!

According to fire experts, extension cords and power strips are not equippedto handle the extra current flow needed to power a space heater and can overheat, eventually catching on fire. Firefighters state heating elements in a space heater can get up to more than 500 Fahrenheit to 600 Fahrenheit.

If you wish to use a space heater you should only plug it in directly it to the wall and keep an eye on it when it’s in use, meaning, unplug it before you leave the house/office. From 2009 to 2013, heating equipment involved an estimated 56,000 reported U.S. home fires which accounted for 156 percent to the total.

According to the National Fire Protection Association, out of those fires, 470 people died, 1,490 were injured and over $1 million in property damage was reported.

Safety tips for running an electric space heater during cold winter months include:

  • Place the heater in a dry location, moisture can potentially damage its components.
  • Do not plug other devices into the same outlet as the heater since they tend to draw a lot of power.
  • Never run an electric cord underneath a rug or carpet, they could catch on fire and keep at least three feet away from anything that can burn.
  • Unplug the heater after turning it off.
  • When running your heater, don’t leave the room for a long period of time without turning it off.
  • Plug space heaters directly into a wall outlet and place them on a flat surface. Do not use an extension cord or power strip.

SERVPRO hopes that you never have to handle a electrical fire but if you do call SERVPRO of Greeley/Windsor, 970-353-1388, to get a speedy cleanup and get your house looking “Like it never even happened.”

Other News

View Recent Posts