Hot Water Tank Warning Signs
Water heaters are essential elements of our home. We use them in daily activities such as taking a bath, using the dishwasher, using the washing machine among many other things. Because we use them frequently, it’s sometimes easy to take them for granted and forget that they need to be maintained. Failing to do so will result in malfunctions, problems and eventually, replacing your water heater. Taking notice of the first signs of a problem can help you repair it before it gets worse or extend the life of your water heater.
You don’t have to be an expert to spot the first signs of trouble. All you need to have is a keen sense of observation so that your water heater can be repaired.
- Hot water has an off smell or color. The first instance that you notice your hot water has an off smell or has a rusty color, have your hot water checked. The smell could be the result of a rusty anode rod in the water heater. There is no need to worry since the anode rod can be replaced, and that should eliminate the bad odor. Bacteria growth also causes bad smells. This happens when the hot water has not been used or has been turned off for quite some time or when the thermostat is set at a very low level.
- Corroded pipes can also cause an off color in your water. This can be solved by installing a water softener or by replacing the plumbing. If you also see a lot of sediments in the water, it’s time to have the water heater repaired.
Water is not hot enough, too hot, not strong enough or there is no water coming out of the faucet when you turn on the hot water at a faucet.
When there is no water, check first that your water heater has power and is working fine. If it is, have it inspected by a plumber.
If there is not enough water showers, etc. it could be due to an undersized water heater and is a common situation when a lot more people are using the water heater. This could also be caused by the presence of mineral deposits inside the water heater tank.
When water is too hot or not hot enough, you may have to adjust the temperature dial of the water heater. If there is no change in temperature, have the water heater checked and repaired.
- Strange noises and leaks. Leaks coming from your water heater could lead to flooding. In the same way, strange noises like pops, bangs, gurgles, and the like are clear indicators that something is wrong with your water heater. This is usually caused by a buildup of sediments inside the tank. A boiling sound, however, could mean the water heater is overheating or that pressure is building up inside the tank. All of the above mentioned items should be addressed immediately to prevent further problems.
It’s important to have your water heater repaired as soon as you see any of these signs. This will help you save on costs, prevent further damage, and avoid an untimely replacement of your unit.
Call SERVPRO Greeley/Windsor at 970-353-1388 for your emergency mitigation needs
Highly Trained Restoration Specialists
Our SERVPRO Professionals are highly trained in property restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO's Corporate Training Facility to regular IICRC industry certifications, our Professionals are equipped with the knowledge to restore your property. Our SERVPRO training program includes the following:
- IICRC Training
- Employee Certification Training
- Initial Franchise Training