HOLIDAY KITCHEN FIRES
As Thanksgiving approaches many of us are getting ready to cook up some of our favorite family recipes. Be sure to take some precautions to make sure that your kitchen doesn't end up in flames!
According to the National Fire Protection Agency Thanksgiving is the top day for home cooking fires (almost 3 times the daily average).
SERVPRO Greeley/Windsor wants to share some tips to help prevent a fire from ruining your Thanksgiving dinner!
- Be Present- Fires are often started when items cooking are left unattended. If you need to leave the kitchen for a period of time, turn off the oven or stove!
- Dress Accordingly- Avoid wearing lose clothing or dangling sleeves while cooking. Lose clothing can easily catch fire if it comes into contact with a gas flame or electric burner.
- Keep Kids Out- Enforce a "kid free zone" of three feet around the perimeter of the stove. If kids are present in the kitchen, use the stove's back burners whenever possible and turn pot handles inward to reduce the risk that pots with hot contents will be knocked over.
- Clean, Clean, Clean- Be sure your stove top and oven are free of grease, which can easily catch fire. Additionally, keep all combustible cooking accessories, such as pot holders, oven mitts and wooden utensils, away from the stove top.A fire extinguisher should always be at hand to quickly extinguish any fires that may occur on the top of the stove. Of course, in the event of an emergency, never hesitate to call 911.
- The best defense against a fire is to prevent them from ever happening! If a fire should ignite in kitchen turn off the oven, unplug the appliance and remove any dish towels that may be hanging on the front of the oven door.
Call SERVPRO of Greeley/Windsor for your emergency mitigation needs at 970-353-1388. We make it “Like it never even happened.”
Highly Trained Restoration Specialists
Our SERVPRO Professionals are highly trained in property restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO's Corporate Training Facility to regular IICRC industry certifications, our Professionals are equipped with the knowledge to restore your property. The SERVPRO training program includes, but not limited to, the following:
- IICRC Training
- Employee Certification Training
- Initial Franchise Training
- Continuing Education Classes