Unexpected Fire Hazards in Your Home
Some of the most dangerous fire hazards in your home are completely unexpected and are things you might not think about every day. Not all fire hazards are so predictable like leaving a candle unattended or smoking inside your house. The lesser-known fire hazards are just as troubling than most common ones because you do not see them coming until it is too late.
Here are some unexpected fire hazards in your home that you should pay attention to:
- Dryer lint – Excessive heat and lint buildup is just asking for trouble. It is important to clean the dryer vent and exhaust duct regularly.
- Dust – Dust can be a fire hazard if it collects near floor heaters, electronics and sockets. If sparks fly, dust piles can ignite and start a house fire. Be sure to look under appliances and remove dust buildup.
- Gas water heater – Clothes piled too close to a gas water heater can ignite when the water heater comes on.
- Laptops – Laptops running for long periods of time tend to get fairly-hot. A hot laptop that is left on a bed, couch, blanket or other soft surfaces can prevent air flow in and out of the cooling vents. This can produce enough heat to ignite and start a fire.
- Crumbs in the toaster – Have you checked your toaster crumbs recently? As crumbs pile up on the bottom, a spark can easily catch fire and start a flame that catches on to items surrounding the toaster.
- Leaves in gutters – Allowing leaves to gather up in your gutters or bushes to over grow can cause a major fire risk. Be sure to clean your gutters and your lawn regularly to reduce the risk of a fire.
An unexpected fire is devastating and can destroy your home along with your personal belongs. Be proactive in protecting your home from a fire hazard. Be alert and check your house routinely. If the unimaginable ever does happen, SERVPRO of Greeley/Windsor will make it “Like it never even happened.” Call us at 970-353-1388, we answer our phones 24/7/365 which puts our professional technicians onsite quicker.